We employ a “cradle to grave” approach in all our engagements.
- Typically we start by meeting with the client’s senior management and technical staff in order to scope out potentially eligible activities.
- We then request a summary of the expenditures and any assistance and/or contract payments received on account of the SR&ED activities.
- From this point we direct our activities in an effort to maximize the potential investment tax credits. The anticipated work would include: meetings with key corporate personnel; the identification and review of any additional potentially eligible projects, expenditures and any related sources of financial assistance and/or contract payments; researching the appropriate treatment of activities, expenditures and receipts; and the calculation of all expenditures identified as eligible to be claimed based on the client’s qualified SR&ED activities.
- We provide our client’s technical personnel with assistance and guidance on the preparation of the technical project descriptions required to be submitted as part of the SR&ED claim. Either we, or our client’s technical staff, prepare initial draft descriptions. If we prepare the description drafts they will be passed to the technical staff for review and editing. We then edit/provide any feedback necessary to improve the description(s) to be submitted to CRA with the SR&ED claims.
- We can prepare the financial forms and schedules required to be input on to the corporate tax returns which will be submitted by either ourselves or our client’s accountants. We review the completed tax returns prior to filing in order to ensure that the returns accurately reflect the information prepared relating to the eligible SR&ED activities for the years being claimed.
- Once the claims have been submitted we follow their progress, attend any meetings, research and help prepare any additional information requested to support the claims.